Girls Leadership is seeking an experienced leader to join our team to design our curriculum and training for sports coaches of girls and gender expansive youth. The Sports Program Director will lead Girls Leadership’s work in sports by listening to players and co-designing solutions to the challenges they face, creating original activities and lessons that foster belonging and leadership development, and training coaches across all kinds of sports. This position is a member of the Program team.
Sports Program Director responsibilities:
Sports Lab Leadership (20%)
- Innovate, create or modify Girls Leadership curricula and activities for sports teams with a culturally responsive, trauma-informed/healing-centered approach, incorporating a gender and racial equity lens to meet the social-emotional needs of girls and female-identified, and gender expansive students
- Conduct needs assessment processes and focus groups with girl athletes, their families and coaches to identify priority areas for lesson and curriculum design
- Develop a scope and sequence to structure a spiraled curriculum focused on social-emotional learning based on coach input
- Act as the primary point of contact for Power Lab sports/basketball/CBO partnerships
- Ensure that all services and programs meet the determined objectives and outcomes
- Recruit, support, and steward relationships with advisors, partners, funders
- Conduct design-thinking sessions (listening, brainstorming, piloting) with girls and gender expansive youth to understand their needs, challenges, strengths, and ideas
- Write developmentally appropriate activities, games, and lessons to cultivate cultures of belonging, awareness of gender expectations, and support leadership development through sports participation
- Evaluate effectiveness of lessons and activities through informal and formal assessment methods, and revise as needed. This may include managing the metrics and evaluation partner
- Observe coaches delivering lessons and provide feedback and support to effectively deliver social-emotional based lessons and activities
- Collaborate with the Programs team to design, develop and iterate Girls Leadership coaches’ training
- Conduct needs assessment processes and focus groups with coaches to identify areas of need for coach support and training to effectively deliver curricula
- Design and facilitate learning experiences for coaches to address identified areas of need
- Evaluate effectiveness of coaches’ learning experiences through informal and formal assessment methods
- Facilitate Girls Leadership Coaches Training nationally
- Evaluate effectiveness of Girls Leadership Coaches Training
Other responsibilities (25%):
- Co-facilitate other trainings or programs including training educators and community based organization professionals
- Collaborate with members of the programs team on curriculum or training development
- Support awareness and fundraising of the Sports Lab program by joining meetings, or speaking at conferences
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is:
- Passionate about girls’ empowerment and experienced in the nonprofit, education and sports sector
- Prior participation in organized sports as a youth and/or adult
- Team coaching experience
- Analytical, resourceful, creative and strategic thinker
- Strong communicator who is comfortable working both independently and with team members
- Experienced with the girl-serving networks and has expertise with our audiences
- Experience with girls athletics and coaching networks
- Experienced in project management and strategic planning
- Experienced writing lesson plans and curriculum development
- Comfortable in engaging with a diversity of individuals, organizations, teams and other networks
- Able to take organizational ambiguity and turn it into an action plan with desired outcomes, benchmarks, deadlines
- Experienced training adults
- Committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion
Other Considerations: This is a hybrid position (50% in person/50% remote) and requires the ability to work in-person at Bay Area schools and/or sports programs and adhere to all Covid state/local/district policies.
Compensation & Benefits: This is a full-time exempt position. Salary for this position is $95,000 annually. Benefits include health insurance, optional dental/vision, vacation time, separate sick time, 11 holidays per year, 2 – two week paid wellness breaks and a 401(k) plan available after one year of service.
Applications: Girls Leadership strongly encourages BIPOC/women of color to apply for this position.
Girls Leadership is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter in Word or pdf format to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read Sports Program Director.
Applications will be reviewed and processed until the position is secured. To learn more about Girls Leadership, please visit girlsleadership.org