Entering Grade 9
July 21 – August 4 (15 days, 14 nights) *2 spots left*
Click here to apply
Please contact us if you would like to be connected to an alumni family.
A Summer Camp Like No Other
Nothing prepares you for the freedom of high school like a summer with Girls Leadership. In this program you’ll make amazing friends who will be there for you through high school, into college and beyond. You’ll explore topics such as intersectional identity, media literacy, and conflict as an opportunity for positive change. You’ll become masters of the Girls Leadership personal leadership skills, such as taking risks, making mistakes, voicing your feelings and opinions, building authentic friendships and letting go of the not-so-authentic ones. Our grade nine alumnae go on to try out for new clubs and sports in high school, armed with the confidence and skills to thrive and be true to themselves in a new environment.
In the grade nine workshop series we focus on courage as the essential value for leadership. Over 15 days of this workshop series you’ll learn about messages that come from the media, social media, and society. You’ll learn about who creates those messages, how they are constructed, and why. Most importantly you’ll choose which messages feel like ones that you want to adopt, which ones you want to resist, and how you can take action. The ninth grade skills go beyond personal leadership, to practice making a difference on a broader, societal level. The 15 days culminate in a Writers Salon where you can voice your opinions and ideas with the most supportive community possible.
You’ll leave the Girls Leadership Summer Program with a skill booklet (which girls tell us comes in very handy all year long!), your arts project, and a sterling silver puzzle necklace charm which symbolizes you being a piece of every world you create around you.
Dates and Tuition
July 21 – August 4 (15 days, 14 nights) $3,700
Daily life is full of friends, from brushing your teeth with your hall-mates, to dropping off “love notes” in girls’ mailboxes before bed. In the afternoon, you get some “you time”: your choice of projects, wellness options and fun evening activities like the spontaneous sing-a-longs and Girls Leadership Open Mic.
What is the “Girls Leadership magic”? It’s what allows you to take risks that you never thought possible and to build stronger friendships than you’ve ever known. What does the Girls Leadership magic look like? It is 40 screaming girls, covered in face paint, playing kickball. It is you cheering for every single girl at bat and then watching each girl start to cheer for others. It’s being part of a group sing along (when you can’t carry a tune). It’s acknowledging and being supported around your real emotions, just when you thought no one was listening. It’s about taking risks and being your real self in order to inspire all girls the permission to do the same.
At the start of the session, you choose a creative project. Guided by professional teaching artists, you experiment, improvise and create unique works of art. Past projects included: solo performances, documentary filmmaking, photography, theater and improvisation, recycled art, visual journals, yoga & creative writing and more. Summer project choices change each summer, depending on current staff expertise.
During the session there are both challenging trips and just-for-fun days. One possible “challenge trip” could include a visit to a high and low ropes course. Other fun events could include beach or pool days, spoken word poetry slams, and a movie night.
You’re creative, brilliant and ready to explore your experiences in exciting ways. We get that. So we’ve invited artists, writers, and performers to guide you on a three-day long Arts Festival. The Arts Fest projects allow you to recognize, honor and communicate your authentic voice through creative media. The projects all culminate in a supportive community celebration of artwork. Past projects include solo performance, spoken word, creative dance, and documentary filmmaking!
- Games, like Whoosh!, Bop, Zip, Zap, Zop, and Yes! It is so fun. We promise.
- Morning workshops – Here you learn the Girls Leadership skills during these fun interactive sessions
- Free time
- Advisory – Small group discussions
- Projects – Pick your art project! Past projects have included: Creative Writing & Yoga, Step, Improv, Devising, Photography, Solo Performance, Recycled Art
- Fitness – There are options every day. If it’s hot, we head to the pool. Other choices might include oversized soccer ball games, disc golf, fitness challenge, love ball, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, yoga, forest walk and Olympiad!
- Evening Activity – Evenings are 100% fun! Activities include game show night, scavenger hunt, mask making, jewelry making, a trip to the theater or movies, egg drop, fractured fairytales, and much more.
- Love Notes – An adored GL tradition, Love Notes is the time where we gather in the hall, dance to Girls Leadership playlists, and write notes to the friend who made our day! The best part? The collection of love notes that you get to take home about you at the end of the summer program.