Entering Grade 6
Session 1: June 29 – July 8 (10 days, 9 nights)
Session 2: July 10 – July 19 (10 days, 9 nights)
Please contact us if you would like to be connected to an alumni family.
A Summer Camp Like No Other
Our entering 6th grade program offers girls a chance to have all the Girls Leadership fun packed into an exciting 10 day experience. In that time, girls gain confidence while building amazing friendships that make them feel unique, powerful and loved. We explore personal identity and community to better understand who we are, what we believe, and how we can create meaningful change in our relationships.
The summer between fifth and sixth grade is an important transition. The Girls Leadership Summer Program offers girls the opportunity to feel independent and strong away from home. We give girls the space to be silly and play while arming them with the tools to build healthy, rewarding relationships. The sixth grade program strikes the perfect balance between transformational workshops and summer fun.
Girls leave the 6th grade program with a skills booklet to reference throughout the year, an arts piece or memory token from their arts project, and a seahorse charm to symbolize the beauty and strength of being true to yourself.
Dates and Tuition
Session 1: June 29 – July 8 (10 days, 9 nights) $2,700
Session 2: July 10 – July 19 (10 days, 9 nights) $2,700
Life at Girls Leadership
For many girls, this is the first long stay away from home. Building a safe and rewarding community is our number one priority. Our summer residential staff are like older sisters: they live on the hall with girls and shepherd them through the program days, from morning wake-up and mealtime, to letter writing and bedtime dance parties. Every girl belongs to a close-knit advisory group where she can share her thoughts, connect to other girls, or just brainstorm their act for skit night.
What is the “Girls Leadership magic”? It’s what allows girls to take risks that they never thought possible and to build stronger friendships than they’ve ever known. What does the Girls Leadership magic look like? It is 40 screaming girls, covered in face paint, playing kickball. It is cheering for every single girl at bat and then hearing all those girls cheer for you. It’s being part of a group sing along (when you can’t carry a tune). It’s acknowledging and being supported around your real emotions, just when you thought no one was listening. It’s about taking risks and being your real self in order to inspire all girls to do the same.
Our curriculum for girls entering grade six celebrates individuality. At Girls Leadership this means knowing and accepting your thoughts and feelings, celebrating that silly “je ne sais quois” that makes you, you, and finding friends who love and accept that in you.
At the start of the session, each girl chooses a creative project. Guided by professional teaching artists, girls play, improvise and create unique works of art. Past projects included: photography, theater and improvisation, recycled art, puppetry, clowning, visual journals, yoga & creative writing and more. Summer project choices change each summer, depending on current staff expertise.
Fun events include beach or pool day, spoken word poetry slams, and a movie night. We also love the Fourth of July! From tie dye activities, face painting and BBQs, summer doesn’t get better than this!
- Games like Whoosh!, Zip, Zap, Zop, Bop and Yes! (Trust us, it’s fun.)
- Morning workshops – Here is where you learn the Girls Leadership skills during these fun interactive sessions
- Free time
- Advisory – Small group discussions
- Projects – Pick your art project! Past projects have included: Creative Writing & Yoga, Step, Improv, Theatre Devising, Photography, Solo Performance, Recycled Art
- Wellness – Every day there are two choices. If it’s hot, we may head to the pool. Other choices might include oversized soccer ball games, disc golf, fitness challenge, love ball, ultimate, volleyball, yoga, forest walk and Olympiad!
- Evening Activity – Evenings are 100% fun! Activities include game show night, scavenger hunt, mask making, jewelry making, a trip to the movies, egg drop, fractured fairytales, and much more.
- Love Notes – An adored GL tradition, Love Notes is the time where we gather in the hall, dance to GL playlists, and write notes to girls who made our day!