July 15, 16, and 17, 2019
Price: $1,020 per person (includes breakfast and lunch each day, and 1 copy of our curriculum booklet)
Due to the high volume of scholarship requests received, submissions are now closed.
If you would like to be notified about future trainings, please fill out this form.
Who should attend the training?
- Are you an educator, clinician, coach, or academic working with girls and young women in grades K – 12?
- Interested in knowing the latest research, interventions, and tools to support the girls you work with?
- Eager to learn from two of the nation’s top experts on the social-emotional development of girls?
What is the Girl Meets World Professional Development Training?
- Become equipped to teach the Girl Meets World curriculum designed for grades 6-12. This curriculum can be adapted for K-5;
- Learn the latest research on girls’ development and psychological aggression;
- Practice leading activities and receive coaching and feedback;
- Learn how to create a learning environment in which girls can be themselves;
- Share strategies and experiences with colleagues from around the country;
- Learn Girls Leadership’s unique games and activities;
- Receive one copy of the curriculum.
Day 1 – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
|10:00||Introduction, Community Building & “Good Girls vs. Real Girls”|
|11:30||Using Role Play with Students|
|2:15||I Feel, Therefore I Am: Building Emotional Intelligence in Girls|
|4:00||The End of Blame: Teaching Ownership and Responsibility|
Happy Hour 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Day 2 – 10:00 AM — 4:00 PM
|10:00||The Power of Play and Being Silly with Girls|
|11:00||The Four Steps: Healthy Conflict & Interpersonal Efficacy|
|12:00||Doing It: Strategies for Optimal Instruction|
|2:00||Nobody’s Perfect: Girls & Self Image|
|3:00||Teaching Preparation in Partners|
Day 3 – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
|9:45||Teaching Practice with Coaching|
|12:00||Closing and Evaluations|
Registration and Eligibility
To participate, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Employment by a school or youth services organization
- Employment as a clinician working with youth, including private practice
- Formal volunteer position with a youth services organization, such as Girl Scout troop leader
Please note that the training is not trauma-informed, nor is the curriculum intentionally intersectional. A version to address those specific needs and opportunities is in the works. If you have any questions about eligibility or the unique needs of your community, please call our office at (410) 878-2258, ext. 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be advised that registration does not guarantee enrollment. You will be notified of your application’s status within two weeks of its submission. If your application is not accepted, we will refund your program fee. Applications are processed in the order received. Please be advised that certification to teach Girl Meets World does not authorize individuals to sell the program or train others to teach it.
Girl Meets World July 15 – 17, 2019
- Lunch and refreshments each day
- Continental breakfast all three days
- Evening Happy Hour on day one
- One copy of the curriculum
No credits or refunds are available within 30 days of the start of the program.
We’ve held a block of 20 rooms at a courtesy rate at the nearby Hotel Northampton. The dates for this reserved block are Sunday, 7/14 (check in), Monday, 7/15, and Tuesday, 7/16, with checkout on Wednesday, 7/17. Participants should call the hotel directly at (413) 584-3100 and ask for the Girls Leadership room block in order to obtain the courtesy group rate of $145.99 per night. Complimentary WiFi and continental breakfast are provided to hotel guests.
36 King Street
Northampton, MA 01060
Hotel Northampton is within walking distance of Smith College. If you would like to look into other accommodations, please feel free. Participants are not obligated to stay at the hotel(s) we recommend, and are welcome to make their own arrangements. Other accommodation options in the area include Fairfield Inn and Suites – Springfield Northampton/Amherst and the Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst, both of which are within a few miles of the college.
Shuttle and Transportation
Transportation to Smith College and the surrounding area from the Boston or Hartford airports is available from a number of services. Please see below for more information:
- Affordable Airport Car Service, 413-739-7293
- Boston Car Service, 877-345-0292
- Exclusive Car Service, 413-534-3505 or 877-695-4665
- GoGreen Cab Co., 413-586-0707
- Seemo Shuttle, 413-586-1120 or 800-908-2829
- Valley Transporter, 413-253-1350 or 800-872-8752
- VanGO, 617-431-8308
For additional information about getting to/from Smith College, please click here.
Dress for comfort and play. Please, no heels or restrictive clothing.
What Others Are Saying About Girl Meets World:
“This workshop was extremely hands-on and productive. I walked away with concrete models of what to turnkey to my teachers; that is a rarity at most education workshops. Playing games is something most adults never have time for – this workshop was a true reminder that we all need to laugh, take risks, and step outside the box, especially if we want our children to do so.” – Tara
“Intelligent, intense workshops with outstanding leadership facilitators.” – Sally
“Amazing. Chance of a lifetime. You read a book then work in a small group with the author – incredible opportunity. Rachel, so down to earth. Simone, majorly talented and gifted in the arts.” – Leanne
“It’s been awesome! We love having a tool that is so effective.” – Sonia
“It was a great way to interface with other like minded individuals while learning a fantastic curriculum.” – Vicki
“An important aspect of growth that often gets overlooked. Taught in a concise and hands on way.” – Arielle