A Certificate Program for Young Women Leaders
- Interested in learning some valuable professional skills and receiving a formal certificate to supplement your future college admissions applications all while experiencing the best summer experience of your life?
- Do you value connection, relationships, growth, and learning? Do you have a special place in your heart for young or first-time summer program attendees?
- Are you a one-time (or more) Girls Leadership Summer Program Grade 9-11 (High School Session) alumnae and a rising 11th and 12th grader?
If so, we would like to invite you to apply to Girls Leadership’s Counselor in Training (CIT) program.
Dates and Tuition
July 21 – August 4 (15 days, 14 nights) $3,700
So what exactly is the CIT Program?
- The CIT program is a 22-day residential training program where a selected cohort of 6-8 girls will receive an opportunity to be a counselor-in-residence at Girls Leadership’s renowned summer program. Working closely with Girls Leadership staff, CITs will learn and model counseling and teaching skills, become a respected and beloved mentor to the younger girl participants, and earn a formal Girls Leadership certificate to supplement future college admissions and future job applications.
So who is it for?
- The CIT program is designed for Girls Leadership summer program alumnae (note: you must have attended the high school session summer program at least once to be considered for the CIT program and be a rising 11th or 12th grader) who have a strong interest in deepening the skills already gained from prior summer program experiences. This program is designed for alumnae eager to take on a real-life leadership role and for alumnae interested in learning a lot about themselves and what it takes to be a supportive, mentoring presence for other, younger girls.
What are the benefits? What will I learn?
- The benefits and learning opportunities of being a CIT are immense! The CIT Program will teach participants to role model Everyday Leadership through creating an inclusive community; leading games and activities with the younger girls; teaching the core Girls Leadership skills; facilitating group conversations; managing peer relationships, including conflict management. At the end of the program, CITs will receive a formalized certificate detailing out these skills – a wonderful supplement to your resumes and college applications where employers and admissions officers are always looking for demonstrated leadership.
What’s an average day like? What does a CIT do?
- Some average daily CIT activities might include: owning a residential life curriculum facilitating informal conversations connected to the workshop curriculum; supporting and at times running morning games; supporting afternoon projects by connecting the girls learning from the workshop to the project; creating community culture in the dining hall, evening activities and free time. Also, on a daily basis, CITs will meet as a group and individually with key staff and directors ongoing for goals progress, feedback, discussions of counseling issues, etc.
What are the nuts and bolts logistics of the CIT program?
- CITs will arrive on the afternoon of June 28th, participate in onboarding before the first middle school session girls arrive on June 29th. CITs go home on July 19th after the second middle school season, unless choosing to be a participant in the high school session that runs from July 21st – August 4th. For the CIT program itself, applicants will receive a deeply discounted tuition of $3,000 (22 days, 21 nights).
Okay, I’m in! What next?
- We are thrilled you are interested in being a Girls Leadership CIT! As a next step, please complete our standard summer program application, indicating on your application that you are interested in being a CIT.
- Note: All applications are due March 1, 2019. After your application is received and reviewed, within one week we will be in touch with you to schedule a Skype (or, when possible, in-person) interview to take place between March 4th – March 15th.
- Decisions will be made by March 29, 2019, and should you be selected, we will be in touch with many more details!