Belonging in Basketball
Creating the Foundation for Girls to Thrive as a Team
Dates & Times
Tuesday, February 27, 2024
4:00 – 6:00 PM Pacific
5:00 – 7:00 PM Mountain
6:00 – 8:00 PM Central
7:00 – 9:00 PM Eastern
This course will explore how to cultivate a sense of belonging for every girl on your team, so that players can practice effective and sustainable teamwork. Belonging is the first step in making sure players feel heard, seen, valued, and supported by their coaches and teammates. This experiential module will equip coaches with activities, coaching tips, and mindsets to create a strong foundation of belonging and community for their teams.
Belonging in Basketball: Creating the Foundation for Girls to Thrive as a Team was created with middle and high school girls’ basketball coaches, athletic directors, recreation center staff, CBO youth managers and team parents in mind.
Learn a range of skills, including:
- Understand the barriers girl athletes face in sports and the game of basketball
- Explore their role as influencers beyond basketball skills, including impact on players’ identity and value development, wellness, and leadership development
- Practice and build confidence with tactical strategies for creating a tight knit and healthy team, firmly grounded in gender and racial equity.
Plus, you will receive:
- 10 wellness check-ins designed to build your players’ social and emotional muscles of self-awareness, empathy, and compassion for others
- An opportunity to connect with other coaches exploring racial and gender equity in sports
Why is this especially important for girls? Girls of color?
In adolescence girls drop out of sports at a higher rate than boys, and basketball engagement is falling. Basketball is a sport that is accessible to many girls of color, compared to other sports. When we intentionally create communities where the most marginalized player feels like she belongs, ALL of your players will benefit.
Together with the WNBA, Girls Leadership launched free Belonging in Basketball resources that we created through the Her Time To Play initiative:
- Certification: Training to equip coaches with activities, coaching tips, and mindsets to create a strong foundation of wellbeing, belonging and community for their teams.
- Curriculum: 36 lessons across 3 age groups (7-9, 10-12, 13-17) designed to teach players to be brave, make mistakes, and lead; created in partnership with Girls Leadership.
- Wellness Check-Ins: 23 quick activities to build the social and emotional muscles of self-awareness, empathy, and connection to others; created in partnership with Girls Leadership.
On February 1, 2023, Girls Leadership and Warriors Basketball Academy powered by Rakuten co-hosted an event in celebration of National Girls and Women in Sports Day — a nationwide celebration to enable girls and women to reach their potential in sports and life. Check out the inspiring pictures here, and learn what basketball means to the girls and how they plan to support others in their basketball and leadership journey.