Position Title: Office Manager
Reports To: Director of Summer Program
Nature of the Position: Seasonal and Residential
Dates: June 22 – August 6, 2019
Number of Positions: 1
Girls Leadership Description:
Girls Leadership equips girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice. Our programs include Girl & Grownup workshops, a residential summer program, and professional development trainings for educators, and parent education presentations.
By engaging the fundamental concepts of the Girls Leadership curriculum, we work together to ensure that campers have fun while learning skills to manage their friendships and relationships. This is an opportunity to be part of a collective staff to allow girls to explore their personal identity and community to better understand who they are, what they believe, and how can create meaningful change in their relationships. All Girls Leadership staff are active members in building a safe and rewarding community that is inclusive and supportive.
Girls Leadership seeks an experienced Office Manager dedicated to girls’ social and emotional development to work at its residential summer program at Mills College in Oakland CA, from June 22 – August 7, 2019. The Girls Leadership Summer Program is divided into three sessions; 2 ten-day sessions serving 6th through 8th grades and 1 fifteen-day session serving 9th through 12th grades.
Under the supervision and in collaboration with Director of Summer Program, the Office Manager manages the office and social media of the Girls Leadership Summer Program.
The Office Manager receives one day off every 5 days and one day off in between sessions. Working as a member of the Girls Leadership staff is a unique, exciting and demanding opportunity. Creating the Girls Leadership community requires hard work, long hours, and significant commitment. Staff must maintain a high level of energy, patience, professionalism, and compassion from early morning wake-up to evening staff meetings. This intense work schedule requires stamina and dedication. The result is an incredibly rewarding job transforming the lives of adolescent girls.
Office Manager’s Primary Responsibilities:
Before the Program begins:
- Confirm that each family has submitted required materials for the start of the program.
- Collect, organize and file all participant documentation within CampSite.
- Communicate and follow policy with Girls Leadership Headquarters specifically in preparing for the program merchandise (charms, girl and staff t-shirts, shorts, water bottles), staff payroll, and staff paperwork.
- Confirm off campus activities and transportation with vendors including car rentals, storage, airport shuttles, community service partners and Mills College.
- Support the preparation of staff schedules.
- Collaborate with the Director of Summer Program to confirm summer program meeting formats.
- Assess inventory and order of bulk materials for summer program and staff training
- Conduct pre-program communication with families.
- Establish the process of the printing and production of program materials and booklets for the summer program in conjunction with the Director of Summer Program.
- Execute and submit weekly American Express expense reports for Girls Leadership Headquarters.
- Plan for and execute staff arrival day on June 22 with the Director of Summer Program.
During the Summer Program:
- Role model the values and skills of the Girls Leadership curriculum.
- Execute customer support to parents and vendors. The Office Manager will respond to all parent inquiries by phone and email.
- Function as the chief liaisons to clients and Mills College and delegate communication as needed.
- Serve as the point people for all schedule related questions from staff, families and girls.
- Oversee and execute pre-arrival family calls before the beginning of each session.
- Plan and oversee the first and last days of each program session, in partnership with the Director of Residential Life, Director of Wellness, and Director of Summer Program.
- Process accounting documentation by reporting expenses and completing necessary check requests and receipt tracking forms.
- Oversee the logistics of all off-campus trip activities including coordinating the bus, the vendor and all box lunch logistics with Mills College.
- Attend daily management meeting.
- Confirm all dietary needs with Mills College staff for on and off-campus days.
- Oversee system of girl’s spending money.
- Execute and manage daily mail pickup and distribution.
- Manage girl phone calls schedule and logistics.
- Oversee the managing of the Girls Leadership merchandise.
- Oversee the storage of Summer Program photos in Dropbox and regular posting of Summer Program photos on Facebook.
- Oversee supply inventory by ordering the Program supplies as in advance and as necessary and tracking spending.
- Coordinate and support the Director of Summer Program in managing the Arts Fest weekends and ensure that visiting teaching artists and logistics are supported.
- Create and secure all Independent Contractor Agreements for visiting teaching artists for the Arts Fest weekends.
- Oversee airports & ground transportation to and from Mills College to Oakland International and SFO airports for staff and girls.
- Oversee the close of the program including inventory, packing, and storage.
- Execute all the items on the Summer Program Wrap-Up Document.
- Reconcile and submit weekly American Express expense reports for Headquarters with the Office Manager.
- Create and manage bi-weekly family newsletter.
- Document operational Summer Program procedures and save in Dropbox.
- Serve as a mandated reporter.
Additional Responsibilities for the Office Manager:
- Prepare the staff office for arrival of Summer Program staff at Mills College, June 15 – 22
- Lead, manage and engage in seven full days of staff training at Mills College, June 21 – 29
- Engage in two full days of clean up, pack up and staff evaluation at Mills College, August 5 & 6.
A sample of a typical day for the Office Manager
8:40 Office Work
1:00 Office Work
2:30 Management Meeting (4 days a week 1 hour)
7:00 Evening Work *
*Evening work is required after dinner depending on the community needs and work priorities.
Office Manager Qualifications:
Candidates must have an Associate or Bachelor’s degree and have at least 2 years of office/administrative experience, possess basic accounting/bookkeeping skills, have some supervisory experience, thrive in fast-paced environments, and be able to multi-task. Employment is contingent upon a clear background check. Candidates must be able to work at the Girls Leadership Headquarters in Oakland from May 17 – June 21, 2019. Employee must be CPR and First Aid trained by June 28, 2019.
The ideal Office Manager candidate will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion practices;
- Demonstrate excellent cross-cultural communication skills;
- Demonstrate social and emotional intelligence;
- Demonstrate the ability to care for oneself during a demanding work schedule;
- Demonstrate a “can do” attitude;
- Be able to create and manage efficient office systems;
- Be Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel on PC and Mac platforms;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills;
- Have the ability to remain flexible and patient in the face of time pressure and multiple demands;
- Be detail-oriented and committed to excellence;
- Approach crisis management challenges calmly, creatively and proactively;
- Work effectively with others as part of a team;
- Be open to and participate in professional observation and regular feedback;
- Connect and relate well with girls in grades 6-12;
- Have a current and valid drivers license
Office Manager Compensation:
- $2,000 for 20 hours per week, May 17 – June 21, 2019.
- $3,600 for 6 weeks of summer program inclusive of staff , June 22 – August 6 2019
- Room and board at Mills College for June 22 – August 6, 2019
- Total travel reimbursement, for arriving to campus in June and leaving in August, is not to exceed $200 total if traveling beyond a 150 mile radius one-way from Mills College. Point of origin and distance need to be confirmed with the Summer Program Director before travel.
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received. First review of applications will begin the week of February 19, 2019. Position will remain posted until April 1st. Candidates should email applications to email@example.com. Please send a resume and cover letter answering the following questions:
- How does this position align with your passions and skill set?
- What is your previous experience working with girls and/or in a (residential) camp setting?
- What do equity and inclusion mean to you?
The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Office Manager”
To watch the Girls Leadership video, see photos from last summer, or read testimonials please visit www.girlsleadership.org.
Girls Leadership is an equal opportunity employer. Girls Leadership is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, gender expression, disability or sexual orientation. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.