Girls Leadership Summer Program
Position Title: Director of Residential Life
Reports To: Director of Summer Program
Nature of the Position: Seasonal and Residential
Dates: June 21 to August 6th, 2020
Number of Positions: 1
Girls Leadership Description:
Girls Leadership equips girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice. Located on the Mills College campus in Oakland, California, our internationally-recognized residential summer program, founded in 2001 by girl experts and social entrepreneurs Rachel Simmons and Simone Marean, is a summer camp experience for girls like no other.
Girls Leadership seeks an energetic and experienced Director of Residential Life, dedicated to girls’ social and emotional development, to work at its residential summer program, from June 21 – August 6, 2020. The Girls Leadership Summer Program is divided into three sessions; 2 ten-day sessions serving 6th grade through 8th grade and 1 fifteen-day session serving 9th grade through 12th grade.
The Director of Residential Life supervises four Residential Counselors and three Camp Counselors. With the support and under the supervision of the Director of Summer Program, the Director of Residential Life works in collaboration with the Senior Residential Counselor to oversee residential life at the program. The Director of Residential Life also oversees non-curriculum activities such as evening activities, field trips and other off campus activities.
The Director of Residential Life receives one day off per session and two days off in between sessions. Working as a member of the Girls Leadership staff is a unique, exciting and demanding opportunity. Creating the Girls Leadership community requires hard work, long hours, and significant commitment. Staff must maintain a high level of energy, patience, professionalism, and compassion from early morning wake-up to evening staff meetings. This intense work schedule requires stamina and dedication. The result is an incredibly rewarding job transforming the lives of adolescent girls.
- Create a safe, nurturing, inclusive community that celebrates each girl
- Role model the values and skills of the Girls Leadership curriculum
- Supervise, evaluate, and mentor four Residential Counselor staff
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with Residential Counselors throughout the program
- Plan, manage, and facilitate daily Residential Counselor staff meetings
- Oversee, support and manage evening activities by helping to create lessons plans, gather materials and provide general support for Residential Counselor staff
- Collaborate with other staff, address community and individual girl issues as they arise
- Rotate on call residential evening responsibilities with Director of Summer Program
- Conduct late residential rounds twice a week
- Take and manage summer photos including Facebook daily posting
- Create an end of session slide show
- Manage birthday cards system and process
- Support the execution of ‘move your body’ activities
- Oversee non-curriculum recreational activities
- Support and execute all off campus field trips including ropes course
- Support arrival and departure days including airport trips, setup, and prep work
- Oversee the organization and inventory all materials and supplies used in the dorm
- Participate in regular staff meetings and management meetings to debrief lessons and discuss girls’ progress
- Engage in five full days of staff training at Mills College, June 21 – 28, 2020
- Engage in two full days of clean up, pack up and staff evaluation at Mills College, August 5 & 6, 2020
- Accompany and support residential bunk group at the ropes course up to three times over the course of the summer, including belaying at the site.
A sample of a typical day for a Director of Residential Life
7:00 Wake Up – staff
9:00 Lead Morning Meeting
10:00 Director Meeting w/ Wellness Coordinator and Director of Summer Program
12:00 Lunch – OFF until 3:30pm
3:30 Prep Evening Activity
6:45-9 Lead Evening Activity
9-9:30 Bed Prep
9:30-10 Love Notes
10:00 Lights out
Bachelor’s degree in psychology, education, kinesiology, child development or another related field with two years of experience in managing a residential staff. Employment is contingent upon a clear background check. Employee must be CPR and First Aid trained by June 21st 2020.
- $5800 for 6 weeks of summer program inclusive of training and staff orientation, June 21 – August 6, 2020
- $500 pre work from May18th to June 19th 2020
- Room and board at Mills College for June 21 – August 6, 2020
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received. First review of applications will begin the week of February 1st. Position will remain posted until April 1st.