Chair of the California Board of Directors
We equip girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice.
We structure our work around four central values: Authentic Communication, Courageous Growth, Equity, and Play.
For more information, please contact Laura Martinez, California Regional Director at email@example.com.
The Chair of the California Board of Directors will lead the launch of the new regional California Board of Directors. They will work in close partnership with the California Regional Director to provide leadership to Girls Leadership in California as we set forth and execute a strategy to advance equity to equip all girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice. Serving as the Chair for the California Girls Leadership Board is an opportunity to leverage Bay Area resources and network to bring the Girls Leadership impact to girls at scale.
The ideal candidate will bring their network, resources, and leadership experience to Girls Leadership at this critical inflection point. An understanding of racial and gender equity efforts will be essential to meeting our goals of serving girls, families, and schools across differences. The CA Board Chair will support and sustain the work of Girls Leadership, and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support. Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight
- Being a trusted advisor to the CA Regional Director as they collaborate to develop and implement Girls Leadership’s strategic plan;
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with: funders, partners, and other stakeholders;
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Girls Leadership for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics;
- Assisting the CA Regional Director with recruiting 10-12 board members;
- Regularly consults with board members on their roles and helps them reach their goals;
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings;
- Partnering with the CA Regional Director to ensure that board resolutions are carried out;
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization; and
- Ensuring Girls Leadership’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities Girls Leadership serves.
- Personally treating Girls Leadership as a top philanthropic priority reflected in an annual financial gift;
- Ensuring that board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity; and
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts.
Girls Leadership’s Board Chair (and board members) will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional terms. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of Girls Leadership’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of board leadership. The selected Board Chair will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment as a nonprofit board member or board chair;
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a nonprofit;
- A commitment to and understanding of Girls Leadership’s beneficiaries and mission;
- Strong personal commitment to social justice and gender equity;
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking; and
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Girls Leadership’s beneficiaries.
Service on Girls Leadership’s board of directors is without remuneration.